The Parish Council is given an annual budget from Wigan Borough. From this precept (about 31p per Band B household per week, or £16 a year) it is committed to:
• Maintain the Memorial garden and playground, replacing deteriorated or broken equipment and regularly checking its safety.
• Maintain the car park.
• Administer and maintain the allotments and Bowling Green at Whitehall in conjunction with the Horticultural Society and various Bowling Clubs.
• Help make the streets and open spaces of the parish brighter and safer by planting out tubs with flowering plants.
• Ensure that the grass in the Memorial Park is regularly cut, that the children’s playground is cleaned and regularly checked for the safety of the play equipment.
• Provide 28 litter bins which take doggie and general waste, and which are situated in green space locations where Wigan Council do not go. We also pay for a litter pick to be carried out at the Memorial Park and main Parish Council car park.
• Maintain planters across the parish (45 at present) which contribute to the glorious floral displays organised by Shevington and District in Bloom.
• Provide Christmas decorations in central areas around the parish.
What else does the Parish Council do?
The Parish Council organise the annual Remembrance Day commemoration in the Memorial Park. It also maintains the War Memorial and has sponsored research into the lives of the men whose names are recorded there.
Parish Councillors are represented on committees such as the Youth Club, Community Association, Patient Participation Group and the Recreation Ground Trustees.
In conjunction with Wigan MBC and the Groundwork Trust the Parish Council is committed to a continuous programme of repair and maintenance of the fourteen miles of footpath in the parish. In 1995, as part of its centenary celebrations the council published a pamphlet, Shevington Parish Paths. These are available in the local library, and on our website under “Walks”.
Wigan Borough councillors who represent Shevington:
Cllr Janet Brown
Cllr Paul Collins
Cllr Marlaine Whitham
Their contact details can be found here.
The councillors meet regularly with the Parish Council to discuss matters of mutual interest.
Looking for documents about Shevington Parish Council?
You can find a recent folder of documents online here.