Part of the Parish Council’s duties is to maintain green spaces in the area and we have various responsibilities for the following areas:
Shevington Memorial Park
The Parish Council owns and maintains the Memorial Park. Its duties include organising maintenance and repairs, providing new equipment and working alongside Wigan Council to ensure the park is safe and free of litter.
Friends of Shevington Memorial Park are a group of Parish Councillors and other members of the community who want to raise funds in order to improve the park – find out more at their Facebook page.
In the past, the Parish Council has worked with other volunteers from community groups to improve the park – not least Shevington In Bloom, who created the sensory garden with pupils from Shevington High School, and plant and maintain flower beds in the park as well as weeding, tidying and watering.
Vicarage Lane fields
The fields at Vicarage Lane are owned by the Parish Council – in recent years the projects by Shevington Sharks ARLFC, Shevington FC and Shevington Horticultural and Allotment Society have been developed alongside the Parish Council. A clubhouse is soon to be built on the site which will be available for all community groups to hire.
The Parish Council’s responsibility is to keep open pathways and maintain all areas of the land which are not either the allotment group or the sports clubs’ responsibility.
Bowling green – Forest Fold
The bowling green off Forest Fold, which is off Miles Lane, is where Whitehall S.V.B.C and Shevington Village BC play alongside various local clubs. This is a tranquil and well-equipped area and new players are invited to join. The Parish Council’s duties are to maintain the area and fund improvements.
Allotments – Forest Fold
The allotments at Forest Fold are home to Shevington Horticultural and Allotment Society – better known as Shevington Gardening club. For over 30 years, locals have grown some spectacular plants, flowers and trees – the allotments are thriving and are a real gem in the area’s crown. The Parish Council’s duties are to maintain the allotments area including the car park.
The Recreation Ground was given to “the residents in the Townships of Shevington and of the Parish of St Anne’s Church, Shevington” for “any purposes calculated to promote the spiritual moral intellectual or physical welfare and the reasonable recreation advantage or benefit” of the said residents. Football may have been played on this ground in 1904 or even earlier. At one time there were tennis courts, and cricket has been played here.
In the past forty years it has been used for the village carnival, with stalls, floats, welly throwing competitions and tug o’ war contests.
The recreation ground trustees include two Parish Councillors and the group meeting throughout the year to ensure the care of the area.
Read Jim Maloney’s history of the Recreation Ground here.
Read the 1927 Trust Deed: original and transcribed
The field is maintained with a grant from the Parish Council.
Shevington Strikers Football Club were the main users of the field. Records show that the club was playing there in 1904. The club achieved FA Charter Standard Award in 2009 and later became Shevingon FC.
Read about the history of Shevington Strikers – now Shevington Football Club.
Stockley, Whiteacre & Crooke Village parks
These parks, situated in the Shevington Vale, Shevington Moor and Crooke areas respectively, are owned and run by Wigan Council. As they are in in the Parish of Shevington, the Parish Council oversees the areas and liaises with Wigan Council to ensure the parks are kept clean and safe. Any issues can be reported via the Wigan Report It online service or app here.